Applying for AMID Young Professional
The application for the AMID 2023 programme is open from September 12 to October 14, 17.00 hrs, 2022. After having read all information, you can continure here to the application form.
- Are you an ambitious MA-graduate dedicated to countering urgent and complex global challenges, such as climate change, poverty and inequality?
- Do you want to invest in acquiring the knowledge and skills needed for a professional to contribute to a fair and sustainable world?
- Do you want to be part of a blended (75% online, 25% face-to-face) international classroom?
- And do you want to gain access to a professional career in this sector?
AMID Young Professional, offered by the Radboud University Nijmegen since 1998, invites applicants for its 25th edition, starting February 2023.*
AMID Young Professional aims to identify, connect and educate leaders for the future – those who will be at the forefront of tackling complex global socio-economic and environmental risks and opportunities, and of the pursuit of sustainable development. The programme facilitates (academic) reflection on the complexities of the world while inspiring trainees to move from individual success to become systems change catalysts by taking on leadership roles in policy-making and governance.
The AMID Young Professional traineeship is a unique, one-year dual programme where trainees work four days a week at an organisation engaged in realizing the Sustainable Development Goals. They come together for academic reflection and training on Fridays. Almost three quarters of AMID alumni is permanently working in the field of international cooperation and sustainable development (AMID tracer study, 2021). They value AMID Young Professional for providing them with relevant academic knowledge combined with practical skills, valuable working experience and an essential international professional network.
AMID is a challenging programme, that is aimed at highly motivated young talents who want to contribute to a fair and sustainable world and want to work in international cooperation. To select a diverse and motivated group of candidates, the selection procedure is intense and sometimes demanding. Competition can be quite fierce: usually circa 250-300 people apply for the 30-35 AMID positions.
*Please note: if are you currently working in an organisation involved in realizing the SDGs based outside of the Netherlands and are you interested in joining AMID Young Professional from that organisation, please contact us. This call for 2023 applications is meant for those that are able to work at an organisation based in the Netherlands. If you are unsure if this is the case for you, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The programme is open to graduates from different academic backgrounds who are highly motivated to contribute to international cooperation and sustainable development. It is directed at recent graduates (0-3 years after graduation) at the start of their professional career. The academic background of applicants should have a link with international cooperation and development. Examples of the study backgrounds of AMID graduates are Development Studies, Econometrics, Finance, Environmental Science, Development Economics, Communications, Social Geography, International Business, Business Administration, International Management, International Finance, Anthropology, Public Health, Nutrition, Public Administration, Tropical Forestry or - Land use, International Relations and International Law.
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable affinity with, international cooperation and global development;
- Work experience (e.g. internship, thesis research) in an international and/or culturally diverse setting: developing countries, countries in transition, international organisations. The minimum requirement is three months of experience, but preferably six months or more. In case you do not meet this requirement but are convinced that you stand out as a candidate because of other experiences you should stress this in your application.
- An open and flexible attitude, the willingness to learn and the ability to critical self-reflect are assets that are valued highly in the selection process;
- Excellent active knowledge of English. Working knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Arabic) are a distinct advantage. Note that some of the trainee positions require active knowledge of Dutch language in writing and speaking;
- An 8 (or equivalent) or higher for their Master's thesis. Foreign candidates must consult the Nuffic website for diploma recognition. In case you do not meet this requirement but are convinced that you stand out as a candidate because of other skills, experiences, background, or your ability to learn quickly, you should stress this in your application. The selection committee aims to select a diverse group of highly qualified candidates and does so by comparing all applications to find the best and most motivated candidates for the AMID programme.
- At the start of your AMID year, non-Dutch residents should possess a work permit and a visa to be able to work and live in The Netherlands for the full year of 2023 and the first month of 2024. AMID is not mediating in applying for the work permit and visa. Check the IND website for more information, also to see if you would be eligible for an 'orientation year'. This applies to people who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in the Netherlands, but also in other cases, for example if you have obtained a Master’s degree in the context of an Erasmus Mundus course or at a ‘designated international educational institution’.
Deadline & costs AMID programme (in CET)
Early bird application
|September 12, 2022, 09.00hrs
September 27, 2022, 16.00 hrs
|All applications||October 14, 2022, 17.00 hrs|
|Registration fee (2 attempts)*||75 Euro|
Early bird application
Contribution of 10% to the tuition fee**
* If you get placed with one of our partner organizations your registration fee will be waived from your tuition.
** please find more information on the STAP budget here
Step 1- Application:
When applying for the AMID programme, applicants should register with AMID as a candidate. The link to the application form can be retrieved from this website from September 12 to October 12 2022. In this online application form we ask you to upload your CV, video pitch (45 seconds, see step 3 for more information), Master's diploma and grade lists, and fill out your personal details, educational background, work experience and motivation. The form invites you to explain your motivation (in max. 200 words) for working in development, and in a separate question to explain your motivation for the AMID programme. The deadline for uploading your application form is October 14, 17:00 hrs.
Step 2 - Registration fee:
Note that the application for AMID is only considered valid when the registration fee of 75 Euro (37,50 Euro with early bird discount) is paid. The registration is valid for two selection attempts. If you have paid the registration fee for the selection round 2022, this is still valid for 2023. Please tick the box on the registration form if this applies to your situation and follow the instructions. Otherwise you can follow the steps for payment at the end of the application. We hold on to applicant's uploaded information for two years. If you get placed with one of our partner organizations your registration fee will be waived from your tuition.
Step 3 - First Selection Round:
Based on your motivation, CV, grade list and video pitch of maximum 45 seconds, the selection committee will decide if you are admitted to the second round in the procedure. For the video pitch, we ask you to answer questions about your motivation, and you can present or read your answers out loud - which way you feel comfortable. This video is about convincing the selection committee to select you as a candidate and is not about editing and camera work. More information can be found here in FAQ #16.
Please be aware of the fact that competition for the AMID programme is fierce. We select a maximum of 75 candidates to enter the second round in the selection procedure. Please read the requirements carefully to optimise your chances for selection. If you are selected for the second round you will be informed latest on October 20, 2022.
Step 4 - Information meeting:
For the 75 selected candidates, we organise an online information meeting on October 24, 2022 from 15.30 – 16.45 hrs. This information meeting will provide more information on the interviews, available positions and matching procedure. Attendance is strongly advised to be adequately prepared for the third round.
Step 5 - Second selection round:
All 75 candidates will be invited for an online interview between October 25 and November 9.
Step 6 – Third selection round:
In the second week of November, we will match the final selection of candidates with the available trainee positions. We will inform you by November 16, 2022, if, and to which organisation(s) we will forward your CV. You will be invited to write an additional motivation letter to the organisation to highlight your interest in the offered position.
Step 7 - Fourth selection round:
Organisations select proposed candidates for an interview and schedule interviews between November 17 and December 12, 2022. Please note, being proposed to an organisation does not give candidates any guarantee to be invited for an interview by the respective organisations. The organisations, not AMID, decide whom they select from all proposed candidates.
Timeline application AMID programme
|September 12 - October 14, 2022, 17.00 hrs||Application open|
|October 20, 2022||Notification 1st round|
|October 24, 2022, from 15.30-16.45 hrs||Online information meeting|
|October 25, 2022 - November 9, 2022||2nd round: face-to-face interviews|
|November 16, 2022||Notification matching|
|November 17 - December 12, 2022||Job interviews at organisations|
|December 2022||Signing employment contract (organisation, trainee)|
|December 2022||Signing three-party framework (AMID, organisation, trainee)|
|February 1, 2023||Start AMID programme|
Candidates who are graduating in December 2022 can apply for AMID, even though they have not yet graduated. Please highlight this in your application and instead of your Master's diploma, send in a statement from your study advisor or thesis supervisor indicating your gradation date and, if possible, your expected thesis grade.
Please note: if are you currently working in an organisation involved in realizing the SDGs based outside of the Netherlands and are you interesting in joining AMID from that organisation, please contact us.
AMID does not refund travel expenses made during the selection process.
In case you have any further questions, please send an email to: email@example.com
AMID is open to organisations presenting their own (internal) candidate or candidates introducing their own organisation. Candidates are encouraged to propose an organisation where they work or have been working (internship, volunteering) before and propose a traineeship in cooperation with AMID. Candidates that already have established contact with an organisation are requested to consult AMID (firstname.lastname@example.org) on how to proceed in arranging an AMID traineeship. Note that this is not a guarantee that you will enter the programme since also in this case you must pass the selection procedure.