U bent hier
AMID Masterclass International Development
Participants scored AMID Masterclasses with a 8.6!
Learn all about the key issues in international development
What are the key debates in international development? What makes organizations impactful? How can we work towards more equal partnerships? In a series of 9 meetings, you’ll learn all about these and other key issues in international development. AMID Masterclasses offers the latest academic knowledge and insights relevant to development professionals. You’ll be stimulated to apply these to your own daily practice whilst sharing experiences with professionals from different backgrounds. The focus in each masterclass is on interaction and in-depth discussion with an academic expert and fellow participants.
Willem Elbers is the program leader of AMID Masterclasses International Development and deputy program director of AMID. He is committed to building a bridge between science and practice in the field of international cooperation and works together with various organizations. He is convinced that knowledge is the foundation for improvement and innovation in international cooperation.
AMID Masterclasses International Development is part of AMID, the training institute of Radboud University that focuses on international cooperation and the Sustainable Development Goals. AMID also offers a programme for Young Professionals and a Community Building programme.
What will you get out of Masterclasses?
- You’ll gain an understanding of the latest scientific knowledge on cross-cutting themes in international development
- You’ll learn about how development actors from the global South and North view and understand each other
- You’ll learn about how different types of actors (e.g. NGOs, foundations, governments) think and work
- You’ll become inspired to put what you’ve learned into practice in your organization
- You’ll connect to new people and expand your network
The series is for
Do you have a HBO, bachelor or master diploma and some (voluntary) work experience? And are you a:
- Development professional working for policy, programme, communication or fundraising departments
- Newcomer in the sector
- Manager, director of board member
Then AMID Masterclasses might be the perfect fit for you.
For which type of organisation?
- Governmental agencies working on the SDGs
- Philanthropic foundations (e.g. company foundations, family foundations)
- Citizen initiatives working on development
- Consultancy organizations working on development
- Charity desks from banks
AMID Masterclasses International Development enhances the effectiveness of organizations by capacity strengthening and professionalization. By participating with several colleagues from your organizations you’ll build a shared understanding of challenges and solutions.
Alumni get a discount of 10%. Prices are subject to change. If you work for a Southern organisation and would like to participate in AMID Masterclasses, please contact Olga Vandewall for more information about the costs.
In a period of about five months you learn in 9 (mostly online) meetings all about the key issues in international development. Besides the meetings the digital learning environment offers you articles, short movies and assignments. The total study load is about 40 hours.
AMID Masterclasses consists of nine online meetings in Zoom and is scheduled on:
- Spring edition: 2 and 16 February, 9 and 23 March, 6 and 20 April, 11 and 25 May, 8 June 2023 from 18.00-20.30hrs CET (from March 26th '23 CEST).
- Autumn edition: 31 August, 14 and 28 September, 12 and 26 October, 9 and 23 November, 7 and 14 December 2023 form 18.00-20.30hrs CEST (from October 29th '23 CET).
For participants based in the Netherlands, the first and last meeting are face-to-face. Prior to these face-2-face meetings we offer a dinner. We’ll end these meetings with drinks. The face-to-face meetings take place at the Social Impact Factory in Utrecht (near Central Station Utrecht). It is also possible to follow the first and last meeting online.
Overview of masterclasses
- The Partnership Paradox: Shifting the Power - dr. Willem Elbers (Radboud University, The Netherlands)
- The Development Dance: How Donors and Recipients Negotiate the Delivery of Foreign Aid - dr. Haley Swedlund (Radboud University, The Netherlands)
- International Development: Playing Field, Purpose and Rules of the Game - dr. Sara Kinsbergen (Radboud University, The Netherlands)
- Social Movements, Activism and Advocacy in the Global South – A view from South Africa – dr. Shauna Mottiar (University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa)
- Corruption and Ethics in International Development - prof. dr. Jonathan Makuwira (Malawi University of Science and Technology, Malawi)
- Can African Resources Replace External Funding for African Civil Society? - prof. dr. Alan Fowler (Wits Business School, South Africa)
- The Impact and Evidence Revolution: Time for a Pushback? - dr. Luuk van Kempen (Radboud University, The Netherlands)
- Epistemic Injustice in International Development: Relevance, Perspective and Actions - dr. Sarah Cummings (Wageningen University, The Netherlands)
- The Relevance of Development Aid in Perspective: Message for the Future - dr. Lau Schulpen (Radboud University, The Netherlands)
februari 2, 2023
2 and 16 February, 9 and 23 March, 6 and 20 April, 11 and 25 May, 8 June 2023 from 18.00-20.30hrs CET (from March 26th '23 CEST).
augustus 31, 2023
Thursday, August 31, 2023 from 18.00-20.30.
Contact & Registration