AMID Young Professional - Trainees
Are you an ambitious graduate dedicated to countering urgent and complex global challenges, such as climate change, poverty and inequality? And do you want to invest in acquiring the knowledge and skills needed for a professional to contribute to a fair and sustainable world?
The AMID Young Professional programme combines work experience and academic reflection. In weekly lectures, you are challenged to develop a critical approach towards international development in combination with additional skills-based trainings and personal development sessions. In the process, you also gain a full year of work experience on an academic position in a competitive field. AMID Young Professional is a post-masters’ programme that is accredited by IAC/EADI following the standing orders for development institutes.
Since 1998, over 500 trainees participated in the EADI accredited AMID Young Professional programme. Trainees value AMID Young Professional for gaining relevant academic knowledge and practical skills, work experience, and network. AMID trainees differ in terms of cultural and educational background, and they work in a variety of positions within a broad spectrum of organisations from different sectors. This diversity is important, as it results in a wider range of knowledge, experiences and perspectives that is brought into classroom discussions with fellow trainees. Whether through personal experience or through the experience of others, trainees gain a profound insight into what working in the development field entails and requires.
Due to COVID-19 crisis currently the AMID Young Professional academic program takes place online. Currently the AMID Young Professional 2021 programme is being developed. Most probably, the program will be blended in nature with partly online and offline lectures.
As a talented young professional participating in AMID Young Professional, you will work at an organisation engaged in issues related to sustainable development for four days a week and attend lectures at the university or online on Fridays. AMIDYoung Professinoal aims to cultivate well-qualified professionals with the knowledge, skills and mindset to operate successfully in international organisations dealing with complex global problems.
The starting point for AMID Young Professional is that positive social change can only be realised in collaboration between different actors such as government, private sector, NGOs and knowledge institutes. The objective of the programme is twofold. First, to train students to become well-qualified professionals who are able to critically contribute to, and pursue a career in the field of international development. Second, to bridge the gap between academia, policy and practice in the field of international development.
The AMID Young Professional academic year runs from February to February. You will be employed at an organisation based in the Netherlands engaged in international development for the full year. Please note that some organisations may require you to start on January 1. Trainees work four days a week for a compensation of at least the minimum wage. In addition organisations pay the tuition fee and for commuting expenses. Some organisations offer a higher compensation or additional benefits; this is to be discussed between the trainee and organisation. The organisation does not provide a job guarantee. Candidates are encouraged to propose an organisation where they have been working (internship, volunteering) before and propose a traineeship in cooperation with AMID Young Professional. Candidates that already have established contact with an organisation are requested to consult AMID (firstname.lastname@example.org) on how to proceed in arranging an AMID traineeship. Note that this is not a guarantee that you will enter the programme since also in this case you must pass the selection procedure.
As a result of completing the AMID Young Professional programme, you will find that you:
- have knowledge of and insight in the theories, actors, skills and current themes in international development and can apply these as a scientist-practitioner to the day-to-day practice of different types of organisations in the framework of the SDGs
- have developed a critical approach towards international development in combination with more skills-based trainings
- can communicate and collaborate with all those involved in the field of international development and work effectively across cultures
- take responsibility in, and influence the public discussion concerning international development
- can reflect on the field you are working in and your own position
- proactively take responsibility for your own learning process and lifelong learning
- have gained a full year of work experience on an academic position in a competitive field and are part of an extensive network of ambitious (young) professionals
A suitable trainee meets the following conditions:
- You recently obtained a Master’s degree (max.3 years) degree, with a link to international development and cooperation;
- You are passionate to contribute to positive social change and you aim for a career in international development;
- You have an open and flexible attitude and are eager to learn;
- You have international work experience and excellent active knowledge of English.
- Furthermore, you have a Master’s thesis awarded with an 8 or higher (or similar grade); In case you do not meet this requirement but are convinced that you stand out as a candidate because of other skills, experiences, background, you should stress this in your application.
- If you are a non-EU candidate, you need a work permit and visa before the start of your AMID year. Non-EU applicants who have completed their Master can apply for an ‘orientation year’ within three years after their graduation. Others should check the possibilities for obtaining a work visa with the Dutch Immigration Service.
- The exact entry requirements can be found under application.
Each year, AMID arranges the traineeships at the organisations. Among the organisations that have participated in previous years are AMREF, Care, Food & Business Knowledge Platform, FMO, Free Press Unlimited, HIVOS, Mott MacDonald, WUR Centre for Development Innovation, Oxfam Novib, Rainforest Alliance, RNW Media and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
As a trainee, you will work in a junior position. The job package consists of, amongst others, policy-related work, communication, research and/or project management. All trainees work under the direct supervision of a senior colleague with whom you conduct at least a midterm and final assessment interview.
If you already work at an organisation active in the field of international development, you can also apply for AMID Young Professional. Please contact us for more information (email@example.com).
The year is divided into four modules, which are cumulative and mutually supportive. Module 1 is the building block for the other three modules and provides an overview of the field of international development through an actor perspective. This enables trainees to position the organisation they work for in a broader context. Module 2 focuses on cooperation and provides an in-depth understanding of the role that multi-stakeholder collaboration plays in reaching development objectives. Module 3 looks at how different organisations understand, realise and assess development objectives by reflecting on monitoring, evaluation and learning mechanisms. Finally, Module 4 focuses on emerging topics and global challenges and aims to come to an understanding how these changes strategically affect different organisations. Each of the four modules is concluded with a written assignment.
Lectures take place on Friday and have a blended nature (online and on location). Preparation for the lectures includes readings and homework assignments and takes up approx. four hours a week.
The working language in the teaching and training programme is English.
In addition to at least a minimum wage, the organisation agrees to pay the programme’s tuition fee (10.675 Euro in 2021) and the trainee’s commuting expenses, including lecture days. The own contribution for trainees in 2021 is 975 Euro. Candidates pay 75 Euro registration fee (37,50 Euro with early bird discount before September 11, 2020, 16.00 hrs). The registration is valid for two selection attempts.
The application for the AMID Young Professional programme is open form September 1, 2020 till October 1, 2020 09.00 hrs. We will publish the call for applications on this website in the summer. More information about applying and the selection process can be found here.