AMID is a challenging programme, that is aimed at highly motivated young talents who want to contribute to a fair and sustainable world and want to work in international cooperation. To select a diverse and motivated group of candidates, the selection procedure is intense and sometimes demanding. Competition can be quite fierce: usually circa 300 people apply for the 30-35 AMID positions.
The programme is open to graduates from different academic backgrounds who are highly motivated to contribute to international cooperation and sustainable development. It is directed at recent graduates (max. 3 years after graduation) at the start of their professional career. The academic background of applicants should have a link with international cooperation and development. Examples of the study backgrounds of AMID graduates are Development Studies, Social Geography, International Business, Business Administration, International Management, International Finance, Anthropology, Public Health, Nutrition, Public Administration, Tropical Forestry or - Land use, International Relations and International Law.
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable affinity with, international cooperation and global development;
- Work experience (e.g. internship, thesis research) in an international or culturally diverse setting: developing countries, countries in transition, international organisations. The minimum requirement is three months of experience, but preferably six months or more;
- An open and flexible attitude, the willingness to learn and the ability to critical self-reflect are assets that are valued highly in the selection process;
- Excellent active knowledge of English. Working knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Arabic) are a distinct advantage. Note that some of the trainee positions require active knowledge of Dutch language in writing and speaking;
- An 8 (or equivalent) or higher for their Master's thesis. Foreign candidates must consult the Nuffic website for diploma recognition. In case you do not meet this requirement but are convinced that you stand out as a candidate because of other skills, experiences, background, or your ability to learn quickly, you should stress this in your application. The selection committee aims to select a diverse group of highly qualified candidates and does so by comparing all applications to find the best and most motivated candidates for the AMID programme;
- Prior upon applying, foreign candidates should possess a work permit and a visa to be able to work and live in The Netherlands for the full year of 2020 and the first month of 2021. AMID is not mediating in applying for the work permit and visa. Check the IND website for more information, also to see if you would be eligible for an 'orientation year'. This applies to people who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in the Netherlands, but also in other cases, for example if you have obtained a Master’s degree in the context of an Erasmus Mundus course or at a ‘designated international educational institution’.
Deadline & costs AMID programme
|Early bird application||September 11, 2019|
|All applications||September 29 (23:59hrs), 2019|
|Registration fee (2 attempts)||75 euro, or|
Early bird application
|Contribution of 10% to the tuition fee||950 euro|
Step 1- Registration:
When applying for the AMID programme, applicants should first register with AMID as a candidate. The link to the registration form can be retrieved from this website from 2 to 30 September 2019. This link will redirect you to a registration form. After having filled out the registration and paid the registration fee, you can continue to the application.
Note that the registration for AMID is only considered valid when the registration fee of 75 euro (37,50 with early bird discount) is paid. The registration is valid for two selection attempts. If you have paid the registration fee for the selection round 2019, this is still valid for 2020. Please tick the box on the registration form if this applies to your situation and follow the instructions.
Step 2 - Application:
After registration you can continue to the online application form where you can upload your CV, Master's diploma and grade lists, and fill out your personal details, educational background, work experience and motivation. The form invites you to explain your motivation for working in development, and in a separate question to explain your motivation for the AMID programme. The deadline for uploading your application form is Sunday 29 september, 23:59 hrs.
Step 3 - First Selection Round:
Based on your motivation, CV and grade list, the selection committee will decide if you are admitted to the second round in the procedure. Please be aware of the fact that competition for the AMID programme is fierce. We select a maximum of 120 candidates to enter the second round in the selection procedure. Please read the requirements carefully to optimise your chances for selection. If you are selected for the second round you will be informed before Thursday, October 3, 2019.
Step 4 - Second Selection Round:
The second round of the selection procedure consists of a video testimonial of maximum one minute where you can pitch yourself as a promising candidate for the AMID programme. Candidates selected for the second round will receive instructions directly on how to create and upload the video pitch. We will questions about your motivation, and you can present or read your answers out loud - which way you feel comfortable. This video is not about editing and camera work. Out of the 120 applicants, the best 75 will be selected for the third round in the procedure. We will inform the selected candidates on the decision by Monday, October 17, 2019.
Step 5 - Information meeting:
For the 75 selected candidates, we organise an information meeting at the Radboud University in Nijmegen on Tuesday October 22, 2019 from 14.00 – 16.00 PM. This information meeting will provide more information on the interviews, available positions and matching procedure. Attendance is strongly advised to be adequately prepared for the third round.
Step 6 - Third selection round:
All 75 candidates will be invited for a face-to-face interview between Thursday October 24 and Tuesday November 5, 2018.
Step 7 – Fourth selection round:
In the first and second week of November, we will match the final selection of candidates with the available trainee positions. We will inform you, if, and to which organisation we will forward your CV. You will be invited to write an additional motivation letter to the organisation to highlight your interest in the offered position.
Organisations select proposed candidates for an interview and schedule interviews between November 13 and December 11. Please note, being proposed to an organisation does not give candidates any guarantee to be invited for an interview by the respective organisations. The organisations, not AMID, decide whom they select from all proposed candidates.
Organisations select proposed candidates for an interview and schedule interviews between November 13 and December 11. Please note, being proposed by IGA to an organisation does not give candidates any guarantee to be invited for an interview by the respective organisations. The organisations, not IGA or AMID, decide whom they select from all proposed candidates.
Timeline application AMID programme
|September 2 - September 30, 2019||Application open|
|October 3, 2019||Notification 1st round|
|October 4-12, 2019||2nd round: video pitch|
|October 17, 2019||Notification 2nd round|
|October 22, 2019||Information meeting, Radboud University|
|October 24 - November 5, 2019||3rd round: face-to-face interviews|
|November 12, 2019||Notification matching|
|November 12 - December 11, 2019||Job interviews at organisations|
|December 2019||Signing employment contract (organisation, trainee)|
|December 2019||Signing three-party framework (AMID, organisation, trainee)|
|February 1, 2020||Start AMID programme|
International candidates currently studying at ISS (International Institute of Social Studies the Hague) who are graduating in December 2019 can apply for AMID, even though they have not yet graduated. Please highlight your ISS background in your application.
AMID does not refund travel expenses made during the selection process or information day.
In case you have any further questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
AMID is open to organisations presenting their own (internal) candidate or candidates introducing their own organisation. Candidates are encouraged to propose an organisation where they work or have been working (internship, volunteering) before and propose a traineeship in cooperation with AMID. Candidates that already have established contact with an organisation are requested to consult AMID (email@example.com, +31(0) 24 36 11 838) on how to proceed in arranging an AMID traineeship. Note that this is not a guarantee that you will enter the programme since also in this case you must pass the selection procedure.
The application for the AMID 2020 programme will be open from September 2 to September 30, 2019.
For more info, you can download the call for applications AMID 2019. The new call for applications will be published in May.