AMID is a challenging programme, that is aimed at highly motivated young talents who want to contribute to a fair and sustainable world and want to work in international cooperation. To select a diverse and motivated group of candidates, the selection procedure is intense and sometimes demanding. Competition can be quite fierce: usually circa 250-300 people apply for the 30-35 AMID positions.
Here you can find more information on the entry requirements, the application and selection procedure and the costs for the AMID programme, and download the Call for Applications AMID 2021.
The programme is open to graduates from different academic backgrounds who are highly motivated to contribute to international cooperation and sustainable development. It is directed at recent graduates (max. 3 years after graduation) at the start of their professional career. The academic background of applicants should have a link with international cooperation and development. Examples of the study backgrounds of AMID graduates are Development Studies, Social Geography, International Business, Business Administration, International Management, International Finance, Anthropology, Public Health, Nutrition, Public Administration, Tropical Forestry or - Land use, International Relations and International Law.
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable affinity with, international cooperation and global development;
- Work experience (e.g. internship, thesis research) in an international or culturally diverse setting: developing countries, countries in transition, international organisations. The minimum requirement is three months of experience, but preferably six months or more;
- An open and flexible attitude, the willingness to learn and the ability to critical self-reflect are assets that are valued highly in the selection process;
- Excellent active knowledge of English. Working knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Arabic) are a distinct advantage. Note that some of the trainee positions require active knowledge of Dutch language in writing and speaking;
- An 8 (or equivalent) or higher for their Master's thesis. Foreign candidates must consult the Nuffic website for diploma recognition. In case you do not meet this requirement but are convinced that you stand out as a candidate because of other skills, experiences, background, or your ability to learn quickly, you should stress this in your application. The selection committee aims to select a diverse group of highly qualified candidates and does so by comparing all applications to find the best and most motivated candidates for the AMID programme;
- Prior upon applying, foreign candidates should possess a work permit and a visa to be able to work and live in The Netherlands for the full year of 2021 and the first month of 2022. AMID is not mediating in applying for the work permit and visa. Check the IND website for more information, also to see if you would be eligible for an 'orientation year'. This applies to people who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD in the Netherlands, but also in other cases, for example if you have obtained a Master’s degree in the context of an Erasmus Mundus course or at a ‘designated international educational institution’.
Deadline & costs AMID programme
|Early bird application
||September 11, 2020, 16.00 hrs
||October 1, 2020, 09.00 hrs
|Registration fee (2 attempts)
Early bird application
|Contribution of 10% to the tuition fee
Step 1- Application:
When applying for the AMID programme, applicants should register with AMID as a candidate. The link to the application form can be retrieved from this website from September 1 to October 1 2020. In this online application form we ask you to upload your CV, Master's diploma and grade lists, and fill out your personal details, educational background, work experience and motivation. The form invites you to explain your motivation (in max. 200 words) for working in development, and in a separate question to explain your motivation for the AMID programme. The deadline for uploading your application form is October 1, 09:00 hrs.
Step 2 - Registration fee:
Note that the application for AMID is only considered valid when the registration fee of 75 Euro (37,50 Euro with early bird discount) is paid. The registration is valid for two selection attempts. If you have paid the registration fee for the selection round 2020, this is still valid for 2021. Please tick the box on the registration form if this applies to your situation and follow the instructions. Otherwise you can follow the steps for payment at the end of the application.
Step 3 - First Selection Round:
Based on your motivation, CV and grade list, the selection committee will decide if you are admitted to the second round in the procedure. Please be aware of the fact that competition for the AMID programme is fierce. We select a maximum of 120 candidates to enter the second round in the selection procedure. Please read the requirements carefully to optimise your chances for selection. If you are selected for the second round you will be informed on October 7, 2020.
Step 4 - Second Selection Round:
The second round of the selection procedure consists of a video testimonial of maximum one minute where you can pitch yourself as a promising candidate for the AMID programme. Candidates selected for the second round will receive instructions directly on how to create and upload the video pitch. We will ask you to answer questions about your motivation, and you can present or read your answers out loud - which way you feel comfortable. This video is about convincing the selection committee to select you as a candidate and is not about editing and camera work. Out of the 120 applicants, the best 75 will be selected for the third round in the procedure. We will inform the selected candidates on the decision by October 19, 2020.
Step 5 - Information meeting:
For the 75 selected candidates, we organise an online information meeting on October 22, 2020 from 15.00 – 16.15 hrs. This information meeting will provide more information on the interviews, available positions and matching procedure. Attendance is strongly advised to be adequately prepared for the third round.
Step 6 - Third selection round:
All 75 candidates will be invited for an online or face-to-face interview at a suitable location in Utrecht between October 23, 2020 and November 3, 2020.
Step 7 – Fourth selection round:
In the first week of November, we will match the final selection of candidates with the available trainee positions. We will inform you on November 10, 2020 latest, if, and to which organisation we will forward your CV. You will be invited to write an additional motivation letter to the organisation to highlight your interest in the offered position.
Step 8 - Fifth selection round:
Organisations select proposed candidates for an interview and schedule interviews between November 10 and December 10, 2020. Please note, being proposed to an organisation does not give candidates any guarantee to be invited for an interview by the respective organisations. The organisations, not AMID, decide whom they select from all proposed candidates.
Timeline application AMID programme
|September 1 - October 1, 2020, 09.00 hrs
|October 7, 2020
||Notification 1st round
|October 7-15, 2020
||2nd round: video pitch
|October 19, 2020
||Notification 2nd round
|October 22, 2020, from 15.00-16.15 hrs
||Online information meeting
|October 23, 2020 - November 3, 2020
||3rd round: face-to-face interviews
|November 10, 2020
|November 10 - December 10, 2020
||Job interviews at organisations
||Signing employment contract (organisation, trainee)
||Signing three-party framework (AMID, organisation, trainee)
|February 1, 2021
||Start AMID programme
Candidates who are graduating in December 2020 can apply for AMID, even though they have not yet graduated. Please highlight this in your application and instead of your Master's diploma, send in a statement from your study advisor or thesis supervisor indicating your gradation date and, if possible, your expected thesis grade.
AMID does not refund travel expenses made during the selection process.
In case you have any further questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org